Submitted by Sokun Chea, National Institute of Education, Cambodia
What are the qualities of effective teaching materials?
Dr. Richards responds:
Effective materials do many of the things a teacher would normally do as part of his or her teaching.
- Arouse the learners’ interest.
- Remind them of earlier learning.
- Tell them what they will be learning next.
- Explain new learning content to them.
- Set clear learning targets.
- Provide them with strategies to use in learning.
- Provide opportunities for meaningful practice.